March 15, 2012

Strength for Today and Bright Hope for Tomorrow

One of my favorite hymns is "Great Is Thy Faithfulness". My mind has meditated on the words of this hymn many times especially over the last several years. This hymn speaks of the Lord's faithfulness, compassion, and the strength He will provide you every day. It also speaks of the Lord's mercies, new every morning, that bring bright hope for tomorrow.

Our family has come to wonderful blessing and bright hope for tomorrow. We are looking forward to welcoming another son into our family come August. The Lord is so good!

But...even in the midst of this joy and blessing, is the knowledge of the hurt and heartbreak that came with this same joy last time. I remember finding out that Mason was a boy, going out and buying our first little boy outfit, planning the nursery and making plans for Mason's future. Knowing all the hopes and dreams that were unrealized makes it hard to fully embrace the blessing the Lord is giving us.

As we plan and hope and dream for this new little one inside of me, there is an apprehension that comes with it. It is hard to think of loving and caring for this new little one when there is a little one that you never got to do the same for. I try my best to keep my eyes on today and what the Lord has given us today, cherishing this little life inside of me. I keep reminding myself of these verses...

Trust in the Lord with all your heart 
and do not lean on your own understanding. 
In all your ways acknowledge Him, 
and He will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

Do not be anxious about anything, 
but in prayer and supplication with thanksgiving 
let your requests be made known to God. 
And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, 
will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

These verses remind me to trust in the Lord, and not what I feel or understand, and to not worry or fret over the "maybes" and "what-ifs" but to bring those thoughts and concerns to the Lord in prayer. If I do this, He is going to guard my heart. Do this mean that if I do this there will not be any more hardship and hurt in my life? No. But it does mean that when those hardships and hurts do come, He will guard our hearts through them. He will carry us through whatever trial we need to walk through. 

So today I am choosing to focus on the blessing of another little boy... anticipating and preparing for his arrival... cherishing the little life the Lord is forming and growing inside of me. 

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! So happy for you!

    Thank you for those great reminders...Love that hymn.

    With Hope,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete